PILATES BUILDS PHYSICAL STRENGTH & INCREASES FLEXIBILITY, IMPROVES OVERALL HEALTH, REDUCES STRESS, AND RESTORES PHYSICAL AND EMOTIONAL BALANCE. THE PRACTICE OF PILATES TEACHES US HOW TO TRULY BE IN THE PRESENT MOMENT, WHICH HELPS US TO CLEAR THE MIND, BRINGING A SENSE OF PEACE. PILATES GIVES US THE TOOLS TO HELP US TRANSFORM OUR LIVES PHYSICALLY, MENTALLY, EMOTIONALLY, AND SPIRITUALLY.
Align your body, align your mind, align your soul.
Sophy’s teaching style consists of a strong alignment-focus with precise attention to detail. She incorporates the use of pilates props when needed (straps, blocks, blankets, bolsters, etc.) in order to correct alignment and/or for therapeutic application, as well as to help students get deeper into a pose to advance their practice when needed. Each pose is taught individually in order to learn the details (vs. a flow), so that students are able to get into and understand the correct alignment of the pose in order to prevent injury. Poses are held for a longer period of time in order to receive all of the benefits that each pose has to offer. Sophy also offers the option of hands-on adjustments when needed in order to correct alignment and prevent injury or to deepen the pose when it’s applicable.
Relax. Renew. Restore.
Restorative pilates is designed to relax the physical body in order to relax the mental body. An assortment of pilates props are used in order to allow for complete physical relaxation so that the nervous system is calmed more easily. Calming breathing techniques are used as a way to focus the mind in order to help let other thoughts go, allowing for a deeper relaxation. Some of the many benefits of restorative pilates include: restored energy, stress-reduction, relief from many common ailments such as stress-headaches, migraines, insomnia, anxiety, depression, and chronic fatigue.
Pilates for Holistic Healing.
Pilates can be used as a means of holistic healing for a wide range of physical ailments, diseases and conditions. Sophy is trained in the application of pilates for many situations, including:
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Chronic Back Pain
- Heart Disease
- Healing Injuries
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- Anxiety Disorders
- Weight Loss/Management
- Chronic Fatigue
- Neurological & Immune Disorders
One-on-one private pilates sessions are the best way for your teacher to help you reach your goals with your pilates practice. Whether it’s healing an injury, working therapeutically with a specific ailment or condition, the desire to enhance your pilates practice, or simply just wanting to have a teacher there to guide you weekly so you know you are guaranteed to fit a consistent pilates practice into your busy schedule, private pilates sessions are wonderful because they give you personal time with your teacher to directly address all of your needs.
Just some of the many benefits of ongoing pilates practice
- Builds muscle strength
- Increases flexibility
- Corrects posture
- Prevents cartilage & joint breakdown by taking joints through their full range of motion
- Protects your spine by increasing flexibility in your spinal discs, keeping them supple
- Improves bone health by increasing bone density through weight-bearing poses
- Increases blood flow, improving circulation
- Drains your lymphs & boosts immunity
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Regulates your adrenal glands
- Improves depression by increasing serotonin levels & decreasing cortisol
- Beneficial for those with Diabetes because it lowers blood sugar and LDL
- Improves your ability to focus: studies show it improves coordination, reaction time, & memory
- Relaxes your nervous system
- Improves balance
- Helps to relieve chronic tension & muscle fatigue
- Relieves insomnia
- Improves breathing & functioning of the respiratory system
- Improves the functioning of the digestive system
- Keeps your emotions in check
- Can ease the pain of arthritis, back pain, fibromyalgia, carpal tunnel syndrome, and other chronic conditions
- Builds awareness
- Builds compassion & encourages self-care
- Relieves anxiety
- Increases levels of a brain chemical called gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), which is associated with positive mood and a sense of well-being
- Can relieve pain from rheumatoid arthritis
- Reduces risk of heart disease
- Aids in weight loss & weight management
- Helps manage stress & helps to cultivate a more positive outlook on life
- Helps to recover & prevent many injuries